Thursday, April 30, 2015

Dear Public School Teachers

Dear Public School Teachers,

Although I do cross paths with many of you, our worlds don't really overlap that much. I'm a homeschool momma who mostly hangs out with other homeschool mommas. I'm blessed to be able to teach my circus here at home. I have the ability to customize their learning experiences to best meet their needs. We get to take extra time to learn about things that really spark our interests. And two of the best parts are: teaching them that all of life relates back to God, and being up close and personal as they experience life and a love of learning. While I wouldn't trade my world for anything else, I feel like I need to give you the credit that is due you.

You and I have both been given incredible opportunities. And let me tell you something. I admire you. I'm not naïve enough to think that your job is easy. Not only do you have a whole herd of children you're responsible for, but you also have parents, administrators, state requirements, etc., etc., etc. I can imagine the stress. But may I take a moment to be real with you? The most important thing you do in that classroom all year long is to love on those kids - no matter what age they are. They all need you. Some of them are easy to love. They're well-mannered, studious, clean little people, and it's easy - even pleasant - to spend such a huge chunk of your time with them. But then there are some that are not so easy, and definitely not so pleasant. They may not be "put together" or smell really nice. They may be the child with the never-ending snotty nose. Or the teenager with the really bad breath. They may seem to never know what's going on in the classroom or have the slightest bit of interest in learning whatever you're teaching that day. They may be constantly falling asleep in class or just spacing out. Perhaps you have a child in your class that you're always telling to stop talking. Maybe they're outright disrespectful to you. Those kids are hard to tolerate, much less love. Just like the adult version. Most of us don't have much patience for those types of behaviors.

But what if the "difficult" kid in your class is having a hard time learning because of a legitimate learning difference? That's not too far-fetched... But what if it's not that? What if those behaviors are symptoms of a deeper issue? You have been given the opportunity to be, quite possibly, the only love and attention some of those kids get. They all need it. Not just the difficult ones. But especially the difficult ones.

Your year is wrapping up. Summer is coming, and everyone starts to get crazy excited for the break. But instead of rushing through these last few weeks, try to slow it down and really build up and encourage your students. Sometimes summer isn't so fun for these kids. Instead of it being a nice break, it's actually removing them from a relationship with you - their teacher - that may be one of the best ones in their lives. You're getting close to your much-deserved time off. But until then, I encourage you to pour yourselves into those little darlins - or big darlins, whatever the case may be. Make them feel special and important and valued. Those things may be what carries them through the break.

Please know that I pray for you. I pray that you will have the endurance and the motivation to finish the year strong. I pray that you will know you are special and important and valuable. I pray that God will use you to show His love to your students. Children hold a special place in the heart of Jesus. How amazing that we get to tend to them for Him!

You can do it. You've got this. :)

With deep admiration,
Misty Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment